Monday, July 31, 2017

My Area? Your Area? Our Area.

This week I started in a new companionship. I am here in Sapang Palay with Elder Oronos and Elder Stephens. We are in a trio; this means that when we teach there are three of us, if we want to go anywhere all three of us have to go – the work is a lot different. The other big change in the work is that now we are responsible for the entirety of Sapang Palay. The size of our area right now is about twice the size of my last area, because it includes my last area. Our teaching pool is very large and we have a lot of people to visit. Every one of these things is both a blessing and a hardship, but we try to think of them as blessings.
      
We are focusing on following up with people that are progressing in both areas. We are also trying to find time to find new investigators, but almost all of our time is taken up with teaching.
        
Before the transfer, Elder Stephens and Elder Kirifi worked in one half of the city, Elder Tagal and I worked in the other half, and Elder Oronos was in a place called Baliwag. Now I have to learn Elder Stephens half, he has to learn my half, and Elder Oronos needs to learn everything. We are trying to combine the areas so it is more like one area and not just two halves, but it is very hard work.
        
You learn a lot while working with two people, especially when they best communicate in different languages; I switch between Tagalog and English about a million times a day. Elder Stephens understands a lot better in English (and obviously so do I) but Elder Oronos understands in Tagalog. It pushes your language skills to switch back and forth between two languages – especially when they are so different. It is like writing an essay about art and doing math homework at the same time, but you cant pick one or the other.
     
Welp that is pretty much where we are at. The thing I am learning most here is that when put in a hard spot it is not just good and bad, almost every part of the situation has a good and a bad. Every hardship is an opportunity to learn, also every blessing is received through our hardships and our learning. I don’t think I will be in a trio very long, but I think there will be a lot to learn in that time.
      
That is pretty much most of the update on my life right now. It is good where I am at and I am learning a lot. I am learning to handle more stress without freaking out too much,
      
Culture: Indirectness: Filipinos are not usually very direct with asking for things or giving feedback. it goes a lot with the culture. It is not really acceptable to point out someone’s flaws or ask for something directly. This can lead to the situation where people will not fully express their feeling about you directly to your face; it can be hard to get the point across because things are not generally said directly. The same idea works with asking for permission, most of the time it is easier for people to skip that step; they avoid asking for permission for the time that they want. As foreigners, sometimes we are too direct in their eyes but we don’t want to be misunderstood when we speak. It really is a different culture when you talk to people over here.
        
Tagalesson: How Filipinos understand the language: They usually don’t explain the language of Tagalog well to foreigners. They understand it much differently. For example, if someone asked you what the past perfect tense of "I am buying the cereal" was in English you would probably not know what to tell them. When we start asking about focuses and conjugations, they don’t really know what we are talking about. It comes down to having a lot to learn and not always having a person who can explain it well enough. I don’t really know what to put here to help you all understand the language but I can say that as you speak it more fluently, you understand it much differently.
     
Life is pretty good right now. There is a lot to learn, and I find that I am feeling the process of conversion in my life a lot stronger. I encourage you all to start studying the Book of Mormon; really start giving time to it, it is the key to learn what is true about religion. It testifies of Jesus Christ and his life, as it says in the introduction. The Book of Mormon tells people what they should do to gain peace in this life and eternal salvation in the life to come. Who here doesn’t want that?  One day, just sit down in a place with no distractions. Give yourself 20 minutes. Start with a prayer, and write down some notes along the way. You will see a difference in your life. I promise.
      
Welp that is about all I got for you. Keep on keeping on. I love you all.

Love


Elder Faulkner

No comments:

Post a Comment