Monday, October 2, 2017

The Best in Bocaue


This week was pretty decent. We did some pretty good work, and we taught some people.

Well that is a pretty solid explanation of what happened.

Anyways, so these past few weeks I have been focused on personal improvement and teaching skills. One interesting part of Preach my Gospel says that all of our efforts as missionaries, including developing Christlike attributes, being worthy so that we can have the spirit, and reading the scriptures – all result in our ability to teach. One of the things I have really internalized as a missionary is that my goal here is to be a teacher; I am a teacher in everything that I do. I need to improve myself so that I can better teach people to their individual understanding. I like teaching and I really enjoy explaining things to others.
        
One of the results of this is the book that I am currently writing (to help people learn the language). I am trying to put many different ideas and teaching styles together to help everyone that is struggling. I have noticed in the mission that some people are not taught how to be good teachers or how to speak the language. We need something that will really help them understand the language.
     
This comes with a decent amount of stress because it takes up all my language study and it keeps me always wondering how to explain teaching skills and language acquisition. Many wise people have said that you really understand something when you can explain it properly to someone who is only five years old. Teaching the gospel and the language are two things that are very hard to explain to other people, let alone 5-year-olds.      

Right now, we are focusing on working closely with the. We got a lot of support from them and we have already seen them lead us to friends and family members. Working with the ward is often a lot more successful than going out in the street and talking to people. The people the ward have you teach are already familiar with the church and have a friend there to help them in the learning process. I really like working with our ward here.
     
Culture: "I was born _____. I will die ______" A lot of people are very traditional here. When asked why they believe in their religion, they will often answer something to the effect of ‘They are kind of all the same and this is what my parents believed.’ Family is very important, and some things are hard to get people to try if they are not willing to listen or act for themselves. One of the most important parts of missionary work is the invitation to act. You can never tell someone that they need to do something. And you can’t force them. But, if they are unwilling to follow the invitation – you need to explain very clearly why, and what you are inviting them to do. Then they are more willing to try and act for themselves.

Tagalesson. I will include a picture of the book I am writing. It should kind of explain some things about the language that I do not have time to write.

Welp thank you for reading, or skimming, or at least opening. If you didn’t do any of those things then you have no idea what I am saying here. So good luck on that one.

I love you all and hope life is good over where you are.

Love
Elder Faulkner

pictures:
The boots I use

Our baptismal board

Your Tagalesson

The Santa Maria elders.

No comments:

Post a Comment